RSS
Username:
Password:

Menu

Home
Résumé
Personal
Board
Webcam
Links
Members

Powered by Apache Web Server

Powered by Slackware Linux

Valid XHTML5!

Valid CSS!

April 4th, 2018

Now running Apache 2.4.33, PHP 7.2.4, and OpenSSL 1.0.2o

Posted at 03:39:36 PM by froems

I installed the OpenSSL package from Slackware64-current, and compiled Apache and PHP from source to get the latest versions up and running. I also renewed the HTTPD certificate manually, as the auto-renew feature wasn't working properly.

Everything appears to be in good working order after the upgrade.

March 13th, 2018

Now running PHP 7.2.3

Posted at 08:48:14 PM by froems

PHP released a security update. I downloaded, compiled, and installed it. It appears to be working.

December 20th, 2017

Now running Apache 2.4.29 and PHP 7.2.0

Posted at 03:17:38 AM by froems

I've been too busy to post updates lately, but I have updated the site software to Apache 2.4.29 with PHP 7.2.0. I will be checking all of the PHP scripts to ensure that they still work after the jump to a new major release.

July 26th, 2017

Now running Apache 2.4.27 and serving XHTML5!

Posted at 06:26:47 PM by froems

I upgraded the web server to the newest version once again.

I also updated the site generation code to change it from XHTML 1.1 compliant to Polyglot HTML5/XHTML5 compliant. This only required a few small changes: some changes to the HTML header and some changes to HTML entities that were not recognized by XML and needed to be converted to Unicode entities.

July 10th, 2017

Now running PHP 5.6.31

Posted at 07:30:24 PM by froems

For the first time in almost half a year, a new version of PHP 5.6 was released, so I compiled and installed it. Everything still seems to be working fine after installation.

June 28th, 2017

Now running Apache 2.4.26

Posted at 05:49:08 PM by froems

I've upgraded the web server to version 2.4.26, which was released nine days ago. Everything seems to be working fine after the upgrade.

May 16th, 2017

Now running HTTPS from Let's Encrypt!

Posted at 02:16:53 AM by froems

We are now serving up a secure site using HTTPS/SSL! Many thanks to the team at Let's Encrypt for providing a free verified SSL certificate. Most of the SSL certificate authorities out there wanted $100 per year or more, which is why it took me so long to get around to implementing it here.

I tried generating the certificate using Certbot first, but Certbot didn't seem to play well with Slackware. So I used Neilpang's acme.sh to generate the certificate instead, which worked perfectly on the first try. A few tweaks to httpd.conf were made, and we're now serving up secure content!

May 14th, 2017

Now running Slackware 14.2!

Posted at 02:23:15 AM by froems

After nearly a year of putting it off, I finally performed the upgrade.

It broke almost everything. First, it was still running the old Linux kernel when I rebooted, and LILO wasn't working. I soon realized that the server was a newer machine designed for Windows 10, and I had to use ELILO instead because it was compatible with the machine's Win10-compatible BIOS.

First reboot on the new kernel ended in a kernel panic because I was using the generic kernel. Fortunately, I had set ELILO to prompt to use the old kernel as a backup choice, used the old kernel after rebooting, then set up ELILO again to point to the huge new kernel image, and after the reboot the machine came up on the new kernel.

However, the USB enclosure wasn't working, it was throwing off the same errors as before. I had to uninstall the eudev packages completely and use the old version of udev (165), then cold-reboot after turning off the server and the USB enclosure for about ten minutes or so, and the new kernel was finally able to handshake to the ancient USB enclosure without all of those errors. Unfortunately, it had been over two years since the server had been rebooted with that enclosure, so it had to run a two-hour file system check.

So then, everything is up and running, right? Wrong. The Perl upgrade broke all of the old Perl packages, and I couldn't even connect to CPAN without having a memory fault. I had to wipe all of the old Perl packages and reinstall them all from scratch starting with CPAN.

Then I recompiled the web server with Apache httpd 2.4.25 (finally running 2.4 after all these years!), mod_perl 2.0.10, and php 5.6.30 (skipping the 5.5 releases entirely), and it all went surprisingly smooth. Just a few minor updates to httpd.conf were in order.

The last thing to fix were a few sudo scripts that had broken. Investigation showed that sudo no longer inherited environment variables unless you run visudo to explicitly allow that. So I did.

And now, we're up and running on Slackware 14.2, and I still have one day left this weekend!

August 4th, 2016

Slackware 14.2 now available

Posted at 08:39:54 PM by froems

It's been almost three years, but a new version of Slackware is now available. I'll probably look into installing it soon. I wonder if it comes with a version of udev that's compatible with the old RAID array this thing uses.

December 28th, 2015

Now running PHP 5.4.45

Posted at 04:35:42 AM by froems

I just upgraded PHP 5.4 to its final release. Apparently PHP 5.4 has reached its end of life, and I'll have to move to 5.5 eventually.

  Next>